So many contrade (districts) characterize the territory of Belmonte del Sannio, and they include: Difesa Cordari, Piane di Nibbio, Difesa, Selvotta, Portelle, Colle Sant’Angelo, Serra Carpini, Carcamo, Padule Piane, Santa Maria La Noce and Castellana-Baroni. The parish church of San Salvatore and the Church of San Rocco and the Lombard towers are all well worth visiting. The Patron of Belmonte del Sannio is Sant’Anacleto, who is celebrated on 13 July. There are many nature trails to enjoy.
Bellus Mons of the Regesti Angioini was a fiefdom of Caracciolo-Santobuono from about 1650. The Latin name of this place could, given the location of the town, be interpreted as “Monte di guerra” (mountain of war) if it is understood as being situated in an unconquerable position, or as “Monte di bellezza”(mountain of beauty), for the beautiful panoramic view which it offers.
Even if there are no epigraphs, inscriptions or signs, but only an oral tradition, there is a tomb found in open countryside on a limestone peak that has been carved with great skill. This appears to have been the last resting place of the Pakis Uviis (Ovvio Paccio), high priest of the Samnites. The tomb is covered by a stone slab. It was discovered in 1800; inside were found objects belonging to a gladiator: a belt, a gladius (short sword) and most likely also a helmet. These precious objects were sold to an anonymous buyer!
A story of faith linked to a pastoral world of transhumance: it seems that the effigy of the Madonna of Belmonte was moved by the Angels from the ruins of the ancient Church of Santa Maria della Noce up to San Paolo di Civitate, where it is venerated. The two locations are twinned thanks to this ancient miracle!