Its name is linked to the warlord Giacomo Caldora who was born here in 1370. As Castrum De Iudice it is acknowledged to have been the property of the counts of Borrello in the Angevin age, in around the 12th century. Destroyed by the Germans during the Second World War, it still retains its ancient medieval structure. Churches include San Nicola di Bari, Church of the Immacolata and the Sanctuary of the Madonna in Saletta, also associated with the legend of a miracle.
Sanctuary of the Madonna in Saletta. It seems that in addition to the church, which was remodeled in around the 1950s, there was a little monastery of ancient construction. Inside the church a painting (which according to tradition is attributed to San Luca) dating from the 15th – 16th centuries depicts the Madonna – painted as an ordinary woman – sitting on a rock, holding the Baby Jesus by the hand. According to tradition, an apparition of the Madonna took place on a rock situated not far from the Sanctuary. It is still possible to see the “impression” of her knees on the stone.