Little is known of the history of this municipality, which overlooks the wide valley that is crossed by the Trigno and Verrino rivers. The Ducal Palace, headquarters of the Municipal Library and setting for meetings of a cultural nature, dates back to about the 15th century, and belonged to the Petra family. In the Church of Santa Vittoria, which overlooks the village, you can admire the statues of saints attributed to the Neopolitan sculptor Colombo, and the baptistery, as well as the splendid late 17th century organ donated by Francesco D’Onofrio, prestigious member of the family of master organ-makers of Poggio Sannita.
The original name of this village was Caccavone. A resolution by the Municipality in the early 1900’s resulted in its “inappropriate” name being changed to Vinoli. The same City Council a little later considered that as the village was located in the territory of the ancient Sannio, they would call it Poggio Sannita. Poggio Sannita, because of the quality of its olive oil, is counted among the Olive Oil Towns.